You may not realize the dangers that could be lurking within your chimney. Flue blockages, creosote, and cracks in the chimney liner are difficult to see, and they can all lead to hazardous situations, including chimney fires and carbon monoxide leaks.
This is why it is so essential to have your chimney professionally swept and inspected at least once a year. At Blue Ridge Chimney Services, safety is our top priority, which is why we would like to tell you more about chimney health hazards.
CARBON MONOXIDE LEAKS
Known as the “invisible killer,” carbon monoxide can invade your indoor air without you realizing it. Carbon Monoxide is not only odorless but tasteless. This poisonous gas is produced every time you light a fire in your fireplace, and several chimney issues can be responsible for causing it to leak into your home.
A professional chimney inspection can spot these issues, which include cracks in the chimney liner and debris blocking the flue. Blue Ridge Chimney Services also highly recommends that you install carbon monoxide detector alarms throughout your home to alert you if a high concentration of this toxic gas is present in the air you are breathing. Carbon monoxide poisoning has symptoms that are similar to those of the flu, so it can be hard to diagnose. If you continue to breathe in more carbon monoxide, it can be deadly, so be sure to install the detector alarms.
Creosote forms naturally during the combustion process of burning wood. This residue sticks to the inner chimney walls and can accumulate into large deposits. This is dangerous because creosote is so flammable that the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) has named it as a leading cause of chimney fires. All it takes for creosote to ignite into flames is the internal temperature of the chimney getting hot enough. Large amounts of creosote can fuel a large chimney fire that could spread throughout your home and endanger your life. When Blue Ridge Chimney Services sweeps your chimney, we will make sure to remove every bit of creosote. We want to keep your chimney from being a dangerous fire hazard.
Chimney damage can also cause soot to be forced into your home and cause respiratory problems. Keep your family safe by contacting us at Blue Ridge Chimney Services to schedule an appointment for your annual professional chimney maintenance services today.