You may know that it is recommended by fire safety organizations to have your chimney inspected every year, and one of the main reasons for this recommendation is to ensure you are not in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning. Our experienced chimney sweeps at Blue Ridge Chimney Services will check out the inside of your chimney to be sure nothing is blocking the flue. When leaves, soot, and other debris block the flue, the byproducts of combustion, including toxic gases like carbon monoxide, have no way to exit your home. This puts you at a risk of a carbon monoxide leak into your home. We also look for other types of chimney damage, such as a cracked liner, that could also allow this poisonous gas to leak into your home. The fact is that carbon monoxide poses a serious threat to the health of you and your family. We would like to tell you more about carbon monoxide poisoning to help you understand exactly how dangerous this toxic gas can be.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?Carbon Monoxide A Real and Serious Threat to Your Health - Harrisonburg VA. - Blue Ridge Chimney Services

If you have low-level carbon monoxide poisoning, you will feel weak and nauseous, have a constant dull headache, and experience dizziness, confusion, and vomiting. Since these symptoms are so close to those of the flu and the common cold, it can be difficult to diagnose carbon monoxide poisoning. However, if you are misdiagnosed and continue to inhale carbon monoxide, you could end up with high-level poisoning, which can lead to brain, heart, and other organ damage and, eventually, to death. If you are experiencing the symptoms of low-level carbon monoxide poisoning for longer than two weeks, you should ask your doctor to perform a blood test to see if you have been exposed to this toxic gas.

How can I prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?

As Blue Ridge Chimney Services mentioned earlier, you should have your chimney professionally inspected every year to be sure there is no damage that could cause carbon monoxide to leak back into your home. It is also very important to have carbon monoxide detector alarms installed throughout your house. You should place these alarms in the same rooms as your heating appliances, outside each bedroom, and on every level of your home.

What do I do if my carbon monoxide detector alarm goes off?

As soon as you hear this alarm sound, you should immediately get everyone inside your home outside to breathe fresh air. Once everyone is safely outside, call 911 to report that you are having a carbon monoxide leak. Do not go back into your house until you are told by the emergency responders that it is safe to return inside.

The dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning are real. To keep your family safe from this toxic gas, contact us at Blue Ridge Chimney Services to schedule an appointment for a professional chimney inspection.